When it’s time to move, whether across town or the country, the choice of a moving company can make all the difference between a smooth transition and a chaotic experience. The moving industry is filled with options, but identifying a service provider that combines reliability, a broad range of services, and positive customer experiences is crucial.
This review will delve into the details of Allied Van Lines, a storied company in the moving industry known for its comprehensive service offerings and global reach. As one of the established names in moving, Allied Van Lines offers solutions for residential, commercial, and even international relocations, aiming to simplify the moving process for their customers.
In this post, we will explore what sets Allied Van Lines apart, examining the pros and cons, products and services, customer reviews, cost, and overall reputation. Our goal is to provide you with all the information you need to decide if Allied Van Lines is the right moving partner for your next transition.
Allied Van Lines has a storied history that stretches back to 1928, making it one of the most seasoned veterans in the moving industry. With nearly a century of experience, the company has built an impressive reputation as a full-service moving provider. Headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, Allied is now owned by Sirva, Inc., a global leader in moving and relocation services. Service area Allied Van Lines is both a broker and a carrier.
Allied stands out in the moving industry for its expansive service array. It offers residential moves for individuals and families, including local, long-distance, and international relocation options. Corporate clients can also utilize Allied’s services for employee relocations, and the company provides specialized moving assistance for military and government transfers.
Moreover, the company’s geographic reach is substantial, boasting the largest mover network in the world. Their extensive network of local agents ensures that Allied can service moves almost anywhere on the globe, backed by local expertise and resources.
The services provided by Allied Van Lines include, but are not limited to:
- Residential Moving: Tailored solutions for individual and family relocations.
- Corporate Relocation: Support for businesses in moving employees domestically and internationally.
- International Moves: expertise and logistics to help customers move anywhere in the world.
- Specialty Moves: For items that require extra care, such as art, antiques, or pianos.
- Packing and Unpacking: Professional services to pack and unpack belongings safely and efficiently.
- Storage Solutions: There are both short-term and long-term storage options for belongings during the transition.
Allied’s commitment to customer satisfaction is underpinned by its customer service initiatives, including move coordination, online tracking of shipments, and a range of moving resources to guide customers through every step of their move.
With an enduring commitment to quality service and customer satisfaction, Allied Van Lines has solidified its reputation as a dependable and proficient choice for anyone facing the challenges of moving.
Allied Van Lines Products and Services
Allied Van Lines’ extensive suite of moving services is tailored to meet the diverse needs of its clientele. Whether you’re moving across the street, to a new state, or to an entirely different country, Allied aims to provide a seamless moving experience. Here’s a breakdown of their primary service offerings:
- Local Moves: For moves within the same city or vicinity, Allied provides skilled movers to help you relocate quickly and efficiently, ensuring minimal disruption to your daily life.
- Long-Distance Moves: Specializing in state-to-state moves, Allied Van Lines navigates the complexities of cross-country transportation with ease, coordinating every aspect to ensure a smooth journey for your belongings.
- International Relocation: Navigating international customs and logistical complexities is where Allied excels, offering support for a stress-free move across international borders.
- Corporate Relocations: Allied understands the unique requirements of moving employees, providing tailored services for corporate clients to facilitate effective workforce mobility.
Key specialties and additional services include:
- Vehicle Transport: Allied can safely move vehicles, including cars, motorcycles, and boats, among others, as part of your move or as a standalone service.
- Packing and Unpacking: Professional packing helps safeguard your treasures, utilizing appropriate materials and techniques, with the choice to have Allied unpack at your destination.
- Storage Solutions: With secure storage facilities, Allied offers both short-term and long-term storage options for scenarios where your new home isn’t ready to receive all of your possessions.
- Fragile-Only Packing: For items that require special care, Allied’s fragile-only packing service can give you peace of mind that your most delicate items are properly protected.
- Custom Crating: Tailored crating solutions are available for high-value or uniquely shaped items needing extra protection during transport.
Customers can benefit from:
- Personal Move Coordination: Allied provides a personal move coordinator to guide you through the process, acting as your point of contact and ensuring that your move is as well-organized and smooth as possible.
- Online Shipment Tracking: The ability to track your shipment online adds an extra layer of reassurance, allowing you to monitor the progress of your moving truck in real-time.
- Moving Resources: Allied’s collection of online resources offers valuable information and tips on every aspect of moving, from packing checklists to advice on settling into your new community.
Customer service is a paramount concern, and Allied Van Lines and Allied Van Lines Website, is dedicated to maintaining open communication channels and offering timely and helpful responses to any questions or concerns that may arise during the moving process. From the very first quote to the final unpacking, Allied employs a customer-centric approach, intending to provide a hassle-free and satisfying moving experience.
Pros and Cons
When considering these professional movers for your moving needs, it’s crucial to weigh both the positive aspects and potential drawbacks. This balanced view can help ensure you make the best choice for your circumstances.
- A+ BBB Rating: Allied has earned an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau, indicating a commitment to customer service and business ethics.
- Worldwide Network: With a widespread network of agents, Allied offers services in various locations, making them an excellent choice for nearly any move.
- Comprehensive Service Offerings: From packing and unpacking to vehicle transportation and storage, Allied provides a full range of services to cover all moving needs.
- Expertise in International Moves: Strong capabilities in managing the complexities of international relocations set Allied apart in the moving industry.
- Specialty Services: Allied addresses the need for delicate handling with services like fragile-only packing and custom crating. Allied also offers a lower-cost option called Basic Liability Protection that covers your belongings up to a maximum of $0.60 per pound per item.
- Customer Resources: The abundance of online tools and educational resources helps prepare customers for a smooth move.
- Personal Move Coordination: Dedicated move coordinators offer personalized planning and communication, fostering a sense of confidence and control.
- Cost Factor: Unlike budget movers, Allied’s comprehensive services come at premium pricing, which could be a concern for cost-sensitive customers.
- Mixed Customer Experiences: While many customers report positive experiences, some have faced challenges with communication, service delivery, and claim resolution, painting a less consistent picture of customer satisfaction.
- Binding Estimates Require an In-Home Visit: To receive a binding quote, customers must arrange for an in-home estimate, which can be less convenient than online or over-the-phone options offered by some competitors.
Customer experiences with Allied Van Lines differ, and it is important to remember that the nature of the moving industry can lead to variable results. For every glowing review that praises the movers’ punctuality and care, there might be another expressing frustration over delays or damages. Though Allied works to resolve these issues, the impact on your moving experience depends on multiple factors, including the specifics of your move and the local agents involved.
When choosing a moving company, consider these pros and cons in the context of your own needs. If comprehensive services, global reach, and an established reputation are your priorities, Allied Van Lines may be well-suited for you. If cost is the overriding factor, it may be beneficial to compare quotes and services with other providers.
Cost and Pricing Structure
One of the most critical aspects of choosing a moving company for many consumers is the cost. Does Allied Van Lines, like most reputable moving companies? It bases its pricing on several factors that contribute to the overall cost of the move.
Key factors affecting Allied’s moving cost include:
- Distance of the Move: The further you need to move, the higher the cost, especially for long-distance or international relocations.
- Volume/Weight of Belongings: Pricing is influenced by the total weight (for long-distance moves) or volume (for international moves) of the items being moved.
- Additional Services: Costs will increase for services above and beyond loading, transport, and unloading—for example, packing services, custom crating, or storage.
Allied claims that the average cost of a long-distance move with them is about $3,500. This estimate typically considers a moving distance of approximately 1,225 miles and a shipment weight of around 7,400 pounds (equivalent to a three-bedroom house). However, this can only serve as a baseline, as the actual cost can significantly vary based on individual circumstances.
Allied also provides pricing transparency through its in-home estimates. While this does require setting up an appointment and may seem less convenient than instant online quotes, it helps ensure a more accurate and binding estimate—and potentially avoids surprise costs later on.
To compare Allied Van Lines’ pricing:
- Similar Full-Service Movers: often have price ranges within the same ballpark, though it’s always wise to get multiple quotes.
- Budget Movers or DIY: They tend to be less expensive upfront but may not offer the same level of service, reliability, or comprehensive service options.
- Portable Storage Containers: These can be a cost-saving option but require more hands-on involvement and coordination.
It’s important to note that while Allied Movers may not be the cheapest option in the market, its value proposition lies in the comprehensive nature of its services and the convenience it offers to customers looking for a full-service moving experience.
Before finalizing any agreements, make sure to ask about any additional fees, such as fuel charges, insurance options, and accessorial services, so you can budget appropriately for your move.
Customer Reviews and Reputation
Customer feedback is a vital indicator of a company’s service quality and customer satisfaction levels. Allied Van Lines, with its long history in the moving industry, has garnered a mix of customer reviews that reflect a range of experiences. Here’s an overview of what customers have to say:
Positive Aspects Highlighted by Customers:
- High-Quality Service: Many customers have praised Allied for providing high-quality service, often highlighting the professionalism and efficiency of the moving teams.
- Effective Communication: Positive reviews often cite good communication with coordinators and movers, contributing to a smooth moving process.
- Care and Handling: Reports of careful handling of belongings suggest that Allied takes the necessary steps to protect items during the move.
Areas for Improvement Based on Customer Feedback:
- Service Inconsistencies: Some negative reviews point out inconsistencies in service quality, possibly due to the variability of experiences with local agents.
- Claims Resolution: A few customers have expressed frustrations over how claims for lost or damaged items were handled, indicating areas where Allied could improve the customer experience.
- Cost Concerns: Occasionally, customers have mentioned higher costs than anticipated or issues with estimates, hinting at the need for clearer communication on pricing.
In addition to individual reviews, Allied Van Lines has received recognition from industry bodies and consumer organizations. The company holds an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau and has been accredited since 2012, exemplifying its dedication to resolving customer complaints and maintaining trustworthy business practices.
However, like any large service provider, Allied has its share of complaints and negative reviews. Such feedback often revolves around specific incidents or unmet expectations. While the vast majority of Allied’s moves may go smoothly, it is these outlier experiences that tend to make their way into online review platforms.
It’s worth noting that Allied Van Lines proactively engages with customers who leave negative reviews, demonstrating their commitment to customer satisfaction and service improvement. They make efforts to address and resolve issues, which can be reassuring for potential customers concerned about post-move support.
When evaluating Allied Van Lines, it’s important to weigh the volume of positive experiences against the negative ones and consider the context of any issue. As with any service, individual experiences can vary widely, and a large company like Allied is likely to have a few dissatisfied customers amidst many satisfied ones.
Reading through verified customer reviews on platforms such as Trustpilot, Yelp, and the BBB can provide valuable insight into the experiences others have had with Allied, helping you to form a well-rounded view of the company’s reputation.
Allied Van Lines FAQ
What should I consider when choosing a long-distance moving company? Consider the company’s reputation, customer service, pricing transparency, range of services, and the extent of its network for your specific moving route.
How can I ensure my belongings are safe during a move? Choose a moving company that offers full-value protection insurance, use professional packing services, and check for any specific handling procedures for fragile items.
What is the best way to estimate the cost of my move? Request in-person or virtual estimates from multiple moving companies to compare services and pricing. Ensure that the estimate includes all potential fees and services required.
Is it worth paying for professional packing services for my move? Professional packing can be worth the extra cost for those short on time, moving valuable or fragile items, or looking for peace of mind that their belongings are well-protected.
How far in advance should I schedule my move with a moving company? For most moving companies, including full-service providers, it’s recommended to schedule your move at least four to six weeks in advance, or even earlier during peak moving seasons.